By Rhydian Fon James
There's less than a month left to run for submissions to the DWP's consultation on DLA reform. The first draft of The Broken of Britain's submission was posted on this forum a few weeks ago. The response has been incredible, with over 100 replies to my call for evidence and ideas. I have compiled this into a second draft which is posted on our forum. I have tried my best to reflect all your views in the document. Even if you were not quoted directly, your evidence did contribute fundamentally and I thank you sincerely. I now need you tell me how I've done, and to criticize it thoroughly.
This second draft of The Broken of Britain's submission to the Public Consultation on DLA reform still requires your input. Being an user-led group, we are interested in everything you have to say, even if you have never been on our blog or forum before. Read what we've written, take bits out, put new bits in, tell us what you like and don't like, and tell us if you disagree with us - we just want to make sure that we're accurately putting your views across.
On testimonies, we still need:
• A paragraph long testimony from DLA claimants who are enabled to work because of DLA
• A paragraph from a claimant who is chronically ill and will not ‘get better’ about why re-testing every few years is a waste of their time
• A paragraph about why you think DLA is fit for purpose
• A paragraph explaining why three rates of Care component is easier to understand than two (i.e. if you have medium care needs, how do you choose?)
• Why renaming the benefit PIP will not change your life
• A paragraph about the barriers to life that you face because of disability or illness?
• A paragraph on ‘[things] about DLA that should stay the same’.
• A paragraph on the main extra costs you face due to disability or illness.
• A paragraph about what would happen to you if you went down from Middle to Lower rate of Care (losing up to £29.85 a week).
• A paragraph about the broad range of specific activities that you consider essential to your life.
• A paragraph on how DWP can appropriately take account of variable and fluctuating conditions
Please help us to submit a document worthy of your support!